Sunday, March 13, 2011

COLLAPSE? NO! ONLY A TEMPORARY RETREAT

COLLAPSE? NO! ONLY A TEMPORARY RETREAT

See the essence of things in the bud - that is genius.

Lao-Tzu

If you come to me with a visit to my office in California, you will see on one wall of the room a beautiful old-fashioned Spanish tiles, machine for carbonated water, and nine-covered leather chairs in mahogany. Unusual? Yes. But if these chairs could talk, they would tell about how I once nearly lost all hope and was ready to capitulate.

This was the period after World War II, and the work was very hard. Bob, my husband, borrowed money and bought a small dry cleaner. We, the parents of two cute babies, model house, and we had time to pay all necessary fees. Then came a rainy day. No money to pay fees for the house, nothing else.

I did not have some special talent, did not have the practice and did not receive a college education. I was not very high opinion of himself. But I remembered that sometime in the past, a teacher at the school found me some ability. It inspired me to school journalism, and called me advertising manager and editor of essays in the school newspaper. I thought: "If I can write a note in the column was a buyer for a small weekly rag in our small town, then maybe I could earn a cash payment on a house." I had no car, no nanny, which would sit with their children. So I planted the children in the creaky baby stroller, tied behind a big cushion. Wheel of wheelchair now and then fell off, but I put it back in place the heel of the shoe and continued to push it ahead. I am strongly committed to the fact that children do not lose your house, it's not just happened to me in childhood.

However, the newspaper told me that there is no work. I have an idea. I asked if I could buy advertising space in bulk and sell it at retail as a "buyer's Column." They agreed, later admitted that mentally gave me a week's time, then I tired to haul heavy-duty stroller on country roads, and give up his idea. However, they are mistaken. The idea of ​​a "buyer's Column" has worked. I earned enough money to pay the fee for the house and buying a used car that Bob had found for me. Then I hired a high school student, who looked after children from three to five pm every day. When the clock fought off three, I would grab samples of newspapers and flew out the door to rush to the right address.

However, one sad day I received a refusal, when I went to pick up the ad.

- Why? - I asked.

I was told that Ruben Ahlman, owner of pharmacies do not advertise their products with me. Its establishment was very popular in the city, with the view Allman is considered.

- Something is wrong with your advertising - explained to me.

My heart sank. The four failed messages would give me an amount sufficient to pay the regular fee for the house. Thinking, I decided to once again speak to Mr Almanom. All of his love and respect, he kept wives listen. Until then, whenever I tried to contact him, he is not available: it either was not or he had been busy. I knew that if he becomes a place advertising for me, other traders also follow suit. At this time, when I went to the pharmacy, Mr. Allman was in the reception area at the bottom of the room. I smiled at him charmingly and gave "column buyer, carefully distinguished children's green crayon. I said: - All respect your opinion, Mr. Ahlman, you do not look at my work?

He twisted his mouth and vigorously shook his head: - No!

My heart sank and seemed so violently knocked to the floor that is heard all around. All my enthusiasm somewhere instantly evaporated. I went to a beautiful old dispensers water before a pharmacy, feeling that I have no strength to go home, pulled out his last ten cents and took a Coke with a cherry. I frantically tried to figure out what to do next. Do my children will lose their homes, as has happened with me during my childhood? Is my teacher was wrong and talent, which she said she just fiction? My eyes filled with tears.

- What is it, dear? - I heard a soft voice. I looked up and saw a sympathetic face a pleasant gray-haired lady sitting on a chair next to the machine. Out of desperation, I told her my story, ending with the words:

- But Mr. Allman, who was well respected by all, did not want to look at my work.

- Show me your "column was a buyer" - asked for ladies. Taking the paper, she carefully read the marked text. Then she turned in his chair, stood up, turned her head towards the reception area and commanding voice that was heard for the quarter and shouted: - Ruben Ahlman, come over here!

This lady was Mrs. Ahlman! She told Ruben to advertise in my newspaper. This time, his mouth stretched into a wide smile. Then Mrs. Allman asked me to name names of four traders who rejected my services. Going to the phone, she called each of them. Then hugged me and said they were willing to give in my newspaper advertisements. Ruben and Vivian Ahlman became our close friends and loyal customers by advertising. I learned that Ruben is very nice person. Previously, he stirred advertisements from other, now promised to Vivian not to do. If I had asked people in town, I'd just might find out that I was from the outset should talk to Mrs. Allman. Our conversation with her near the old machine was a turning point. My advertising business has grown to four offices with 285 employees who serve on contracts 4,000 advertisers.

Later when Mr. Ahlman modernized the old drug store and removed the machine with carbonated water, my good husband Bob bought it and installed in my office. If you're in California, we'll sit together in chairs around him. I pour you a Coke with a cherry and remind you to never give up, remember that help is always closer than we think. And then I'll tell you that if you can not find the right person that can help you move further inquiries. Try the workaround. And finish the wonderful words of Bill Marriott: - The collapse? Ever, it does not come across. I had to deal only with temporary setbacks.

(Dottie Uolterc)