Sunday, November 22, 2009

Joe Batten. LOVE AND Taxi Driver

Joe Batten

LOVE AND Taxi Driver

The other day I was in New York and traveling with a friend in a taxi. As soon as we left, my friend said, referring to the driver:

- Many thanks for the trip, you drive a nice car.

For a moment the taxi driver stunned silence, then replied:

- I do not scoff if you need me, wise guy?

- No, my friend, I'm not going to play you. I just admire how you manage to keep calm in such a large flow of traffic.

- Ah - Said the driver and drove on.

- Well, what does it all mean? - I asked.

- I want to return the love on the streets of New York - he said. - In my opinion, this is the only thing that can save the city.

- And how is it that one man can save New York?

- And I'm not alone. I am sure that the taxi driver picked up the mood for the day. Suppose that during this time he can lift twenty passengers. It will be kind to them because someone was kind to him. But these passengers, in turn, will behave more polite with their employees or shopkeepers or waiters in restaurants, or even with their own relatives. As a result, at least a thousand people will benefit from one-united-governmental manifestations of goodwill.

- But you have to rely on the fact the taxi driver to your goodwill by others.

- Not at all, - replied my friend. - I know that my method does not always work perfectly, but if I one day I will communicate with, say, ten different people and can make happy at least three out of ten, it would ultimately affect the mood of another three thousand.

- In words, everything looks smooth - I confessed - but not sure that this works in practice.

- Even so, nothing had been lost. How long you need to praise the man for his labor? No matter the size of its tip from this will not increase and not decrease. If he remains deaf to my words, so what? Tomorrow in its place will be another taxi driver, I can again try his hand.

- And you, I see toughie - I remarked.

- This only shows how you become a cynic. I already spent a study. What do you think what is most lacking for our postal employees - not counting the money, of course? Nobody ever, coming to the post, not telling people who work there, how well they cope with their responsibilities.

- And in my opinion, they cope with them very badly.

- If they handle them badly, it was only because all their efforts go unnoticed. Why would someone not to award them at least one good word?

We walked past a house under construction and noticed five workers, who eat up their breakfast. My friend stopped.

- Excellent work, guys. What it must be difficult and dangerous business!

Working with suspicion looked at my friend.

- And when the house is completed?

- In June, - growled one of them.

- Ah It looks very impressive. You all have something to be proud of.

And we walked on.

- I have not seen anything like it since then, looked like "Man of La Mancha."

- When the people begin to think over my words, they probably feel better. Either way, their good mood will benefit the city.

- But you can not succeed without the helpers! - I replied. - Because you did one!

- Most importantly - do not despair. Of course, to make people in the big city good - not an easy task, but if I can engage in his campaign other ...

- You just winked at a very ugly woman - I remarked.
- Yes, I know - replied my friend. - And if this woman - a teacher, her students expect a fantastic day.